I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas
As you celebrate the holidays this year and give and receive gifts think about giving the planet a present. You can be green this holiday season. There are numerous ways to do just that. From the presents you buy to your home decorations you can be eco-friendly. Get the family and especially the kids involved have fun doing it.
Let's start with the 3 R's of being environmentally friendly:
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- you can reduce the amount of new things you'll have to buy if you reuse ribbons, bows and boxes for gifts to use for next year
- reuse wrapping paper, if possible, or use newspaper or recycled paper bags that can be decorated by your kids; this can be a fun activity that will make the present more customized; you can even use fabric or wallpaper as wrapping paper; there is even seed gift wrap
- of course, recycle everything you can after your guests have finally left; paper, aluminum cans, plastic, glass etc.
You and your family can be creative this holiday season:
- make wreaths and other home decorations from branches and shrubs from your yard or garden
- you and your family can make your own homemade tree ornaments: pinecones, paper snowflakes, ornaments can be made from pinecones
- you could send out e-cards instead of traditional greeting cards; you'll be saving money on the cards and all of that postage; if you do mail out cards look into recycled-paper cards
And now for the biggest question of them all. An artificial tree or buying a real tree. Which one is greener? Well, as far as being green the answer is getting a real tree. Artificial trees can contain polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and also is difficult to recycle. After the holidays, your real tree can be recycled into mulch or compost.
You can find many eco-friendly Christmas products and gift ideas. There are has eco-friendly ornaments, organic cotton blankets, solar chargers, smart power strips, handmade scarves, folding recycling bags and even solar Christmas lights. These are perfect for the green person on your list.