Easy Green New Year's Resolutions
Start the New Year off right. Whether you officially have "Go Green" as one of your New Year's resolutions it should be something to think about. Going green can be one of the smartest and easiest things you do. It will be easier than quitting smoking or losing 20 pounds.
Here is a good list of things you can start doing this year:
- start recycling at home; turn it into a habit
- start a recycling program at your office, school, or any other place that you happen to find yourself trees shelter wildlife from their predators and from rain
- clean out your closet and donate the clothes you don't wear to a charity like Goodwill Industries
- conserve energy in your home so this year's utility bills will not be as scary as last year's bills; get a programmable thermostat if you don't have one; go green and save money
- start a compost bin at your house
- start to use canvas bags at grocery stores instead of paper or plastic bags; or reuse the bags you currently have and not use new ones
- start to buy more local food; investigate local food markets and even what you grow yourself as in community gardens
- start to buy more post-consumer recycled products; this includes paper products, clothes, and many other products
- plant a tree; even better, plant several
- ride a bike, walk, use public transit or carpool more in the new year; you'll reduce pollution and also save money
- get involved in the community; adopt a park or join a clean-up crew
- use your local parks system and keep them strong in the community
Whether you do many or only one of the items on the above list, you would be helping yourself and the ones around you to have a better year than last year. Also, let others in on your green resolution. They can help and you can also spread the wealth of your knowledge. Now that is a resolution!